Saturday, June 20, 2009

Maori "History" in NZ

I'm sick of this whole "we were first", pffftttt... NZ has virtually NO history. Compared to European History for instance (or Chinese History for that matter, etc... take your pick of many civilisations around the world) the Maori arrived in NZ a mere blink of the eye ago. And as has happened all over the world, other settlers followed after them... Read More. Here is an interesting titbit on Moriori on the Chatham Islands (which I'll point out is a territory of NZ, the same laws and general principles should apply): "Moriori have received recognition from the Crown and Government and some of their claims against those institutions for the generations of neglect and oppression have been listened to and acted on. Moriori are recognised as the original people of Rekohu. The Crown also recognised the invading Maori tribe: Ngati Mutunga as having "indigenous" status in the Chathams by right of 160-odd years of occupation. Both groups have been given settlement packages of fishing quota."

Fascinating, it only takes a hundred and sixty years for a Maori to go from invaders to "indigenous". As my ancestors arrived as peaceful settlers in NZ back in the mid 1800's I expect it should take them even less time before Norwegians get recognised as indigenous people of NZ, but even if we take the full 160 years then I still expect to be recognised as an indigenous NZer before I die.

When do I get my billions of dollars of lands and in particular fishing rights? As a soon to be indigenous NZ Norwegian this is very important to me, as Norwegians have a very long and proud history of fishing.

I also expect to see changes to NZ laws to recognise my indigenous NZ Norwegian right to freely rape, plunder, and sack any seaside NZ towns whenever we feel like it. (our Viking heritage has been constantly oppressed while we have been in NZ!)

I've only been touching on the forthcoming changes I expect to see for indigenous NZ Norwegians, I expect to see the same respect for all the other European races as has been shown to the Maori (that is of all European races which have been here about 160 years or longer, as shown by the precedent in the Chatham Islands). For instance the Dutch should be considered immediately, as they first came across NZ back in 1642. For those who struggle at maths, that is *more* than a hundred and sixty years ago. It is THREE hundred and sixty years ago, easily passes the "160 year rule".

No comments: